Our History

The Firm was founded in 1977 as a partnership between the late Kevin Lynch, noted MIT professor of Urban Studies and Planning, and the architect/planner/public space designer Stephen Carr. In 1980 it was incorporated as Carr, Lynch Associates. Gary Hack, internationally known urban designer and planner, joined the firm after Kevin’s passing as a Principal from 1986-1996. He taught with Kevin Lynch and MIT and co-authored Site Planning, 3rd edition with him. James Sandell joined the firm as a principal in 1987 after nearly twenty years of collaborative efforts. In 1999 Jean Hermann became a principal after thirteen as an architect providing technical coordination and guidance for the firm's built projects. Stephen Carr retired from the practice in 2001. 

Kevin Lynch
Stephen Carr
Gary Hack

1904 Massachusetts Avenue | Cambridge, Massachusetts | P: (617) 661-6566 | F: (617) 661-6822

© 2018 by Carr, Lynch and Sandell, Inc. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram
  • Facebook